Switzerland is one of the most attractive countries in the world in which to live and work, renowned for its high standard of living, safety and some of the most stunning scenery. Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland, even larger than the capital city Bern and the well-known Geneva. There are over 380,500 residents in Zurich with 31% of the population being non-swiss nationals. Zurich made up 24% of Switzerland’s total GDP in 2016 and was the largest contributor to the country’s economy. The multicultural city is considered Switzerland’s economic centre and its focus on financial services make it the ideal location for expat tax professionals.
A move to another country can be a daunting prospect and can come with many challenges. A great way to help with this is by getting in touch with some of the local expat community online. This allows you to connect with like-minded individuals and seek advice from those currently living in the country.
Most forums will already have a variety of topics, with people seeking all kinds of advice allowing you to gain a vast amount of valuable insider information. The forums can also act as a great way of meeting new friends, finding out when and where different expat activities are taking place and helping you settle into your new surroundings.
Here are some useful forum links for expatriates in Zurich:
- Fodors– travel forum which offers great advice on what to do and see in Zurich
Besides from the more traditional online forums, perhaps an easier way of getting in touch with other expats is through social media. There are numerous Facebook groups that you can join, covering a variety of topics:
- Zurich Expats
- Housing in Zurich
- Zurich Together– an international group created for events and socializing in and around the Zurich area, open to expats and Swiss folks alike
- Worldwide people in Zurich– created for international and Swiss people living in Zürich to make friends, exchange information and post events
- Learning German in Zurich– meet others keen to learn the language, establish a tandem partner and attend events to improve your skills
- Parents in Zurich– a group of international parents that are located in and around Zurich
- Meetup.com– Once you have arrived in Zurich meet like-minded individuals with similar interests.
- Mumsnet– although some threads are a little outdated, there is still lot of valuable information regarding a move to Zurich
Due to a high volume of German nationals moving to Switzerland, there are numerous forums in Germany where commonly asked questions are answered and other expats or Swiss nationals give an insight into what life is like in Zurich.
If you are interested in relocating to Zurich or anywhere else in the world and would like to speak to Kingpin International about international tax opportunities, please contact a member of the team. Alternatively, please browse our current international tax vacancies.